Tuesday 23 May 2017

Measuring and problem solving in Math. Learning about our names.

Firstly I need to apologize about the order of today's blog pictures.  They were inserted randomly and for the sake of time I'm not going to try to rearrange them.

All of EG kicked off today with a session of Math BINGO.  Each class in the school has a set of problem solving questions that are grade/age appropriate.  The object is to solve the Math question given within 15 minutes. I've posted a picture of the question from today (it's about David waiting in line).  Students from each class race to Mrs.Dann to let her know that our class has solved the question.  Today our class came in first in the school!!!!

In Social Studies and and Language Arts we read about a man named Abe Auktalik Okpik.  He was instrumental in helping the people of Iqaluit get their Inuit names back.  Student's completed a visual journal page about him.

In Math we used iPods to measure time.  Students were given an iPod and a buddy, they had to record themselves running bases, completing an obstacle course and running to the paved path and back.  We were working on telling the time using seconds and minutes ( 2:05 is 2 minutes 5 seconds and :35 is = to 36 seconds).  Do you remember who the fastest in the class was????

In Science we have begun a new unit on Small Flying and Crawling Insects.  Students got a choose a non-fiction book and begun to research an insect.

Blog Question:

How did your parents choose your name?

My name Gwen was chosen because it was strong, old fashion and not overly popular.  My middle name Katherine was both my Grandmas and my Moms.  Can you guess Grace's middle name?







































12 comments:

  1. My parents named me after green bay packers football player [Brett Favre]. He is in the NFL hall of fame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my parents named me Tiernan because they liked it and what it meant. It means little Lord and Daddies name means the same thing. My middle names are Edward and Kirk. Edward is after my great grandpa and Kirk is my moms last name. Tiernan

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad came up with 5 names, they liked Hugo the best. Matias, my middle name, means "gift from God".

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Vian my mom picked it because her cousin is named Vian and she is a very sweet & nice person.My name means love in kirdish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was named after my great grandfather. My dad's mom's dad Alexander. The name James was named after my dad's uncle.
    Alex M

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name is Ana Cristina. My mom picked Ana and my dad picked Cristina.The meaning of Ana is "Grace".

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first name Parker my parents just picked because they really liked it. My second name is my Dad's name, Robert. My third name, Shay, was because my brother Marshall wanted my first name to be Shay Shay. When i was born, Marshall told people my name was Willow even though it wasn't!.parker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. my dad named me after his friend.And my name means gift from god.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1) Mrs. Helsen was the fastest!
    -Blu

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got my name because my mom was laying under a bright blue sky beside a bright blue swimming pool and decided she wanted to name me Blu. She loves blue jeans and my dad loves the blue ocean, and so does my mom, and the word blue reminds my mom of the farm she grew up on cuz it's a little western sounding. I got my middle name, Connor, because it's my dad's middle name, and we share middle names, just like you, Mrs. Helsen!
    -Blu

    ReplyDelete
  11. By the way, Parker, my mom and dad used to have a kitty named Willow... that was before I was born.
    -Blu

    ReplyDelete

Online Learning June 22-26

We made it!  It's the last week of the school year!  This week you will get your classroom award and be able to see your report card. ...